Sunday, August 10, 2008

I want empowerment....Err... Do I?

Is Empowerment for everybody – When I ask this I don't only refer to people who want/could be empowered… I also refer to those who're letting go of control to empower… – it depends on how much value you place on people’s individuality, their opinion and their ability to solve problems.
So why can’t everybody be empowered… this is what I think…
I hope my view isn’t too myopic… but empowerment brings with it primarily problem solving abilities…To solve a problem you need to take on responsibility… to take on responsibility you got to be able to believe in yourself… to to be able to believe in yourself you got to at least know lots of parts of yourself if not yourself completely.
For some reason people fear responsibility… either it means you’d have to work a little too much, or its your neck on the line… or you’re just plain scared you won’t deliver… Are we so scared that we won't figure out who we are and therefore won't know what we're good at or how to deliver and hence are okay with getting straight-jacketed?
Of course there are people who thrive on challenges… I guess for those who are unempowered coz they’re scared… ‘chunking’ (breaking the task down to its tiniest activity and starting from there) should help them overcome this fear… NLP says… chunking allows just about anybody to learn just about anything...
Empowerment, i guess can happen, only with your own permission... only you can empower yourself actually...
So why has it suddenly become the buzzword... maybe a critical mass of the human race isn't content with fitting into a structure ... more and more people are looking to figure out what makes them them... and not necessarily out of some cosmic phenomenon that has awakened their philosophical gene... but because discovering yourself lets you sell yourself better or do something better and thus makes you that less transient..

Digressing a bit… I read the 12 laws of NLP and these I can call empowering … they infuse you with confidence and since at the end of it all the story of your life is the story of your mind… I THINK therefore I AM and therefore I SHOULD be empowered…
So when you think you can achieve… the probability of your actually achieving it would be pretty high… maybe I should conduct a survey when I’m relatively free to corroborate this.

No comments: