Monday, October 27, 2008

AIM Diwali 2008 Celebrations
















Last friday we celebrated Diwali at the Asian Institute of Management... Shailaja, Rachna, whom I fondly call Rakhans La, Lambi and lotsa variations of those words, and me stayed up till 3 AM friday morning making chottu (small) diyas to stick on all the dorm doors. At 3:15 - esque we decided to stick diyas on the professors cabins... was awesome fun... the place is so huge we actually got lost a couple of times... and all of this while the Diwali Taash (cards) session was going on in college (which we obviously missed)
Come AIM Diwali day and our entire dorm, 311, was performing 'Bollywood through the ages'... I'm not usually the dance on stage kinda person but it was a dorm-mate's walkabout and so lots of us from class performed....

Hats off to Shailaja who made sure we came for practice, casework or no casework, decoration or no decoration work. She's a fabulous dancer but she'd never choreographed before and made the Diwali performances her walkabout... After going through what she did, I realized had I been in her place, I'd have probably given up and picked another walkabout topic... getting everybody, including the exchange students, to come for practice was quite a task... the best part was that inspite of everybody's nakhras (tantrums) she kept plodding on....

I was pretty worried about performing coz the songs she was making me dance to arn't normally the kind of songs I'd dance to and so I had a drink or two before I went on... it was so much of fun... the show went off pretty well and of course Shailaja won everybody's hearts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello!

Very interesting story. :)

Early this year, I also supported on of my classmate's walkabout about performing onstage (the punjabi pinoys) so I kinda have an idea what you went through. :D

Unknown said...

:) Thanks for leaving a comment... pleasantly surprised to see it :) We saw the punjabi pinoys on youtube... was really good...

Actually its a good thing we supported Shailaja's walkabout coz since there are more to come we're geared up to pool in our resources for them...
in fact there's one group organizing an IPL kind of cricket tournament, with some interesting options, which should be interesting... and I won't have to drink beer to overcome my inhibitions during this one ;-)