Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ruminations at Sea

I went to Subic during my two week break from the MBA course... We went kayaking and snorkelling and swimming in the ocean... I've always loved the water until that day when I swam in the open seas... I'm swimming and I suddenly look up to find a vast expanse of ocean gaping at me.. almost ready to swallow a miniscule human being like me as if I were a tiny amoeboid for it..
It was so scary to realize that all you have above sea level is your damn head... and that same head is of no use if something comes to get you under water.... !!!
We, as an intelligent species, have hardly discovered all the life forms there are to find out about under water... it sure is beautiful... I can say that after having snorkelled but it sure is scary...
Even while snorkelling, with my head under water I'd actually forget I was in the middle of the ocean until such a time I put my head up to check my poistion viz-a-viz the shore and get the fright of my life to see myself so far out at sea....
I think it has something to do with being able to see myself standing on firm ground or just see myself whole....

No comments: